I've been meaning to make this post for a few months but for whatever reason I never got around to it. 6.5 years ago I moved to Vancouver and unfortunately and had to leave my two little yorkies behind (RIP Molly & Nellie). Bringing the yorkies out weren't an option because I was renting in buildings that were never pet friendly and to be frank I wasn't at a time in my life where I could have handled the responsibility. Fast forward to fall of 2015 and Jacky-Poo came into my life! I know this sounds so cliche but the little scruff ball brings so much joy to my life. There is nothing better than coming home to a dog with a wagging tale jumping to get your attention because he's so happy to see you!
6 Reasons to #AdoptDontShop
- You're saving a dogs life and for this reason alone, the dog will love you more and you're basically a hero. Yes, I'm calling myself a hero. I'm pretty sure Jack has imprinted on me because I was the one who picked him up from the shelter and he spent 6 hours on my lap while I drove back to Vancouver.
- You can adopt a dog that is already house trained.
- Adopting is wayyyy cheaper than buying from a breeder. While breeders range from $700 - $1500+ you can adopt a dog for as little as $200 (depending which rescue you go to)
- You have an idea of what the dogs personality is like because the rescue/ shelter will assess their behaviour.
- Petfinder.com is a centralized system where all rescues & shelters list available dogs making it easy for you to search location, breed, sex, etc!
- Okay, I left this one to #6 because it's a pretty shallow reason....but you know how ALL PUPPIES ARE CUTE? Obviously, a baby of anything is cute for gods sake. When you're adopting an adult dog you already know what it looks like fully grown so you can guaranteed it meets your standards.
I'd highly recommend adopting from Adams County Pet Rescue in Washington, even if you're a Vancourite. (See why in this post on adopting Jack.)
[fbvideo link="https://www.facebook.com/bolandiablog/videos/10153522901286607/" width="800" height="600" onlyvideo="1"]